Sunday, July 19, 2009

Week 2 Comment

I was searching different blogs and came across Deb Quinn's - My comment on her page:

I really like that way that he presented the material and that is a great way to keep a kids attention. The thing that impressed me the most was the facts that he talked about in the clip. I now know why my school never has any funding to do anything, It is hard working at a low income school and the fact that they don't use the money for education really irritates me. It really puts a hole in my budget when I have to buy all the material for my students to perform labs because my school doesn't have the budget to pay for it. Thanks for that and I can use that to help with my thesis.


What she wrote about and had on her page:

Week 2 New Media, Old Politics? Video from MIT World

Even though the video New Media, Old Politics? was primarily about politics, I found Garret LoPorto’s discussion regarding psychographics particularly interesting. The use of the internet to target specific cultural communities was something that I hadn’t really given any thought to before this video. When I am introduced to ideas such as this I feel like I have been living under a rock! LoPorto goes on to explain how the internet was and is used to reach and to organize like-minded people to create a constituency. This led me to another reason of why it is so important to teach our students through inquiry-based learning. They are bombarded daily with images and ideas through the internet and television that they need to be confident and to question what they see, hear, and read. Part of LoPorto’s discussion was centered on the need to find out the underlining belief system of a group of people so that it can be targeted. Once their belief system is discovered it can be used and manipulated to spread ideas, that benefit a certain group or political party. “If a person can identify with the idea it becomes a belief, and they pass it on because it will enhance their identity.” (LoPorto,2004)
I will be very interested to hear what your feelings are on this topic.
True Majority.(2007).The oreo cartoon. Retrieved July 13, 2009, from http://www.truemajorityaction.com/oreos/

here is a sample video from the website truemajorityaction.org that is mentioned in by Garrett LoPorto:




Sources:
Week 2 New Media, Old Politics? Video from MIT World. Deb Quinn. Retrieved July 14, 2009 from
http://debquinn.blogspot.com/2009/07/week-2-new-media-old-politics-video.html?showComment=1248039154464#c744565622066665181

1 comment: